The Lovely Loren from Minky’s blog tagged me in a fun little Wanderlust tag a few weeks ago and since its a freezing cold Monday in Joburg on what is shaping up to be a not so great week I thought I would escape into some travel tags this week. Let me know where you would go if money was no obstacle.
- Your most treasured passport stamp?
Seeing my husband’s family home was incredibly special. His late parents build the home in 1989. The year I was born.
(We will be returning soon and I cannot wait)
- Can you recite your passport # from memory if asked?
Hell no, that won’t be very “average” of me now would it.
- Preferred method of travel: planes, trains or automobiles?
Planes are my favourite. I will be honest, even squeezing into cattle class to travel to another country makes me stupidly excited. I am a rare breed, I like airplane food *gasp*. I think it’s the fact that everything is small and compact that excites me. But road-trips with great friends are where the best memories are made. Each has their charm really.
- Top 3 travel items
- My phone – I am a lazy photographer and couldn’t be arsed to drag my SLR all over. With a good eye you can take great blog-worthy photos with a phone.
- Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream – this is a miracle tube of greatness. I use it for everything.
- Wet wipes – hot destination? Freshen up with it. Spill something on you? Clean it off with wet wipes. Keep your face fresh. These little suckers are a must for every traveler. Regardless of where you are headed.
- Hostel or hotel?
I have never stayed in a hostel but it sounds like great fun. I have no problem with roughing it. 5 star hotels seem lovely but how many people can afford more than one night there? Why not stay cheaper and stay longer.
- Are you a repeat visitor or do you explore new places?
I am. When I fall in love I want to go back. But it must be said when I do return to a destination I try to eat at different places, see new/more things. But given the chance I would keep adding new stamps to my precious little green book.
- Do you read up on your destination (culture, history , safety) or do you wing it?
I am a total book worm. Travel books and blogs are my absolute favourite (obviously). But I do not do too much reading up beforehand. I like to wing it. Get on a train and see where it takes me. While there I will read up on everything. For the most part I am an unplanned traveler.
- Favorite travel website?
Nomadic Matt – I adore his stories and could get lost on his site for hours.
- Where would you recommend a friend to visit? Name city & why.
Mauritius – (the whole island)
As a South African this should be top of your list. It’s only a 5 hour flight away and its extremely affordable. You need no visas and South Africans are most welcome. The food, the people, the weather. Its paradise.
10, You’re leaving tomorrow, money is no option, where are you going?
ICELAND – When do we leave?
This country has been top of my list for years and if it weren’t so cruelly expensive I would have gone ages ago. I have this need to see the Northern Lights. I want to swim in the hot springs. I want to see the spectacular volcanoes. Everything about this place is calling my name and one day I will make my way there.