The Sommeliers Selection is inviting Pretoria and Johannesburg wine lovers – both casual and serious – to taste the selection of wines that made it into the winning list of The Sommeliers Selection Competition 2016. I am very excited to attend the second annual Johannesburg tasting.
The tastings will be taking place on:
- Wednesday, November 2 at Priva Lounge in Pretoria from 15.00 to 18.00
- Thursday, November 3 at Gallery MOMO in Johannesburg from 16.00 – 20.00
Tickets cost R50 per person and are available through Webtickets or at the door. This gives guests entry and tastings of all the participating wineries.
Now in its second year, the Sommeliers Selection is South Africa’s first wine competition judged solely by a panel of top South African sommeliers. The wines are judged blind and the winners, referred to as ‘Listed Wines’, appear on the prestigious Sommeliers Selection wine list which is distributed countrywide.
The Sommeliers Selection Competition Chairman and current chairman of The South African Sommeliers Association, Higgo Jacobs says: “The winners are wines that the judges felt were good representations within their style classes. They will be useful in culinary pairing and offer competitive value against other contenders. The tasting and selection process is very similar to constructing a wine list for an establishment.”
Higgo’s team of fellow Sommeliers and Judges included:
- Ewan Mackenzie – Roving Sommelier & The Wine Thief
- Greg Mutambe – Sommelier, The 12 Apostles Hotel and Spa
- Kimi Blackadder – Sommelier, The Hoghouse Brewery Co and committee member of the South African Sommeliers Association (SASA)
- Marlvin Gwese – Sommelier, The Cape Grace (Associate Judge)
- Neil Grant – Owner, Open Door, Bocca and Burrata Restaurants and committee member of the South African Sommeliers Association (SASA)
- Pearl Oliver – Sommelier, The Taj Hotel
- Spencer Fondaumiere, Sommelier, Manager Buratta Restaurant (Associate Judge)
- Tinashe Nyamudoka – Sommelier, The Test Kitchen (Restaurant no 22 on the San Pellegrino Top 50 Restaurants in the world)
I will be doing a short review on some of the winners (and other interesting finds)
For more information on the Sommeliers Selection, visit www.thesommeliersselection.co.za